You are probably asking yourself why in the world would I post this picture. Sixteen years ago this fall my father fought a very quick battle with cancer and lost. From diagnosis to death was six weeks. Since he appeared to be the healthiest one of our four parents the news was a great, grevious shock. It might seem odd to you but my pain was eased by walking. After he died, I kept several of his shirts. One of which I still walk in to this day. During the initial days of personal struggle and grief I wrote this:
Clothed in grace,
wearing my Father's shirt.
Walking daily, fully covered
moving toward eternal health.
I am wearing the shirt in this picture. Aged shirts are very soft but the comfort comes through memories. My dad was not perfect but he loved me and he taught me many great life lessons through example. There continue to be struggles that require walking.
2 comments:
I kept several of my dads shirts when he passed away. He died n less than a week and, as you know, all the grieving is done afterwards. I loved the smell of his shirts. The feeling of the fabric somehow eased my pain. I eventually had his shirts made into a quilt and I cherish it! I'm loving getting to know you through your blog.
I am saving many of Marvin's shirts for Amanda, Kelli, and me. Thank you for this part of your blog!
Post a Comment