Thursday, July 26, 2007

Help for the Helpless














Experiencing the Nyumbani Institute was heartwarming. It is the first Hospice for HIV Positive Orphans in Kenya. It was founded in 1992 with three HIV+ orphans and presently has 101 kids. The youngest we held is six months and the oldest I visited with is 17. Her name is Elizabeth and she has lived at Nyumbani for ten years. Her body is very petite but occupies a realistic spirit. Ellen and I plan to write to her. It is obvious she is struggling with full blown AIDS.
The young boys rushed to Colman as an invite to play soccer. They even had a dog that was pretty good at the game!
We did another short VBS with school children this afternoon. Once again I learned all children are the same they just come in different packaging. I've made many friends that I will never forget. How fortunate to have spent time with kids!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Children are the sweetest blessing that God allows us!!! Other than Jesus!!!

little david said...

I am glad that you had some opportunities that we missed. There is plenty of experience to go around, isn't there?

Anonymous said...

Ellen looks right at home working with those wonderful children...and you're right, children are children, no matter where they live. We are continuing to pray for your ministry.


Linda Hall